blog for-rent property-managers-newsletter

Reasonable Modification and Accommodation Law Now in Effect


The NYS Division of Human Rights published final regulations on May 18, 2022 adding 9 NYCRR 466.15 that provides guidance for compliance with the law for licensees and landlords.  The regulations include definitions, examples of reasonable modifications and accommodations as well as a sample copy of the notice.


Reasonable Accommodations
The New York State Human Rights Law requires housing providers to make reasonable accommodations or modifications to a building or living space to meet the needs of people with disabilities. For example, if you have a physical, mental, or medical impairment, you can ask your housing provider to make the common areas of your building accessible, or to change certain policies to meet your needs.

To request a reasonable accommodation, you should contact your property
manager by calling 716-222-2489 or (716)”222-CITY,” or by e-mailing through our web contact form. You will need to show your housing provider that you have a disability or health problem that interferes with your use of housing, and that your request for accommodation may be necessary to provide you equal access and opportunity to use and enjoy your housing or the amenities and services normally offered by your housing provider. If you believe that you have been denied a reasonable accommodation for your disability, or that you were denied housing or retaliated against because you requested a reasonable accommodation, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of Human Rights as described at the end of this notice.

Specifically, if you have a physical, mental, or medical impairment, you can request:
• Permission to change the interior of your housing unit to make it
accessible (however, you are required to pay for these modifications,
and in the case of a rental your housing provider may require that you
restore the unit to its original condition when you move out);
• Changes to your housing provider’s rules, policies, practices, or services;
• Changes to common areas of the building so you have an equal
opportunity to use the building. The New York State Human Rights Law
requires housing providers to pay for reasonable modifications to
common use areas.
Examples of reasonable modifications and accommodations that may be
requested under the New York State Human Rights Law include:
• If you have a mobility impairment, your housing provider may be
required to provide you with a ramp or other reasonable means to
permit you to enter and exit the building.
• If your doctor provides documentation that having an animal will assist
with your disability, you should be permitted to have the animal in your
home despite a “no pet” rule.
• If you need grab bars in your bathroom, you can request permission to
install them at your own expense. If your housing was built for first
occupancy after March 13, 1991 and the walls need to be reinforced for
grab bars, your housing provider must pay for that to be done.
• If you have an impairment that requires a parking space close to your
unit, you can request your housing provider to provide you with that
parking space, or place you at the top of a waiting list if no adjacent spot
is available.
• If you have a visual impairment and require printed notices in an
alternative format such as large print font, or need notices to be made
available to you electronically, you can request that accommodation
from your landlord.

Required Accessibility Standards
All buildings constructed for use after March 13, 1991, are required to meetthe following standards:
• Public and common areas must be readily accessible to and usable by
persons with disabilities;
• All doors must be sufficiently wide to allow passage by persons in
wheelchairs; and
• All multi-family buildings must contain accessible passageways, fixtures,
outlets, thermostats, bathrooms, and kitchens.

If you believe that your building does not meet the required accessibility
standards, you can file a complaint with the New York State Division of
Human Rights.

How to File a Complaint
A complaint must be filed with the Division within one year of the alleged
discriminatory act. You can find more information on your rights, and on
the procedures for filing a complaint, by going to, or by
calling 1-888-392-3644 with questions about your rights. You can obtain a
complaint form on the website, or one can be e-mailed or mailed to you.
You can also call or e-mail a Division regional office. The regional offices
are listed on the website.

Leave a Reply

Your email address will not be published. Required fields are marked *

This site uses Akismet to reduce spam. Learn how your comment data is processed.